Frequently Asked Questions: Plastic Roll Banners
- What are Plastic Roll Banners?
- What is the difference between vinyl roll banners and plastic roll banners?
- Do you print plastic roll banners on colored (other than white) plastic?
- What sizes of plastic roll banners do you print?
- Why is 3,000 linear feet your minimum run for spot color plastic roll banners?
- Do you offer four color process (4 cp) banners?
- What is the minimum order on four color process banners?
- Do you offer perforated Plastic Roll Banners?
- How many spot colors can NorthCoast Banner print?
- Will NorthCoast dispose of my plates if I don't use them in a certain amount of time?
- Does NorthCoast banners ship internationally?
- Do you accept credit cards?
- How do I reach a member of NorthCoast Banners sales team?
- How do I receive pricing from NorthCoast Banners?
- What is registration shift and how does it impact plastic roll banner art design?
- What is trapping and how does it impact plastic roll banner design?
1. What are Plastic Roll Banners?
Plastic roll banners are printed on low density polyethylene, and are intended to be used for a limited time and then either recycled or disposed of. Plastic roll banners are printed using flexo presses and our minimum print run is 3,000 linear feet. Depending on your banner design, plastic roll banners typically cost less than $1.00 per banner.
2. What is the difference between vinyl roll banners and plastic roll banners?
Whereas plastic roll banners are flexo printed on low density poly, vinyl roll banners are digitally printed on 10 ounce vinyl. Whereas our minimum run for plastic roll banners is 3,000 linear ft, our minimum print run of vinyl roll banners is 50'.
For more information, please contact us (email@example.com or 800-231-4213).
3. Do you print plastic roll banners on colored (other than white) plastic?
Yes - HOWEVER - while we are capable of printing on many different poly colors, we stock white and yellow poly. We special order any other colors.
Please note that the only way we can guarantee PMS color integrity is to print on a white surface.
4. What sizes of plastic roll banners do you print?
We print plastic roll banners on 18", 24", 30" 36" and 48" tall poly.
We offer many repeat lengths, ranging from 18" all the way to 54".
Our most popular sizes include:
- 18" x 18"
- 24" x 36"
- 30" x 36"
- 36" x 36"
- 48" x 54"
Contact us if you don't see the banner size you're looking for. We probably print it. firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-231-4213
5. Why is 3,000 linear feet your minimum run for spot color plastic roll banners?
Our average set-up time to mount plates, put in PMS matched inks, unmount plates and clean up press, hoses and ink stations is 30 minutes per spot color.
Because the press runs at 500' per minute, the average length of a minimum run is 3000 linear feet or 6 minutes.
That's why 3,000 linear feet is our minimum run for spot color plastic roll banners.
6. Do you offer four color process (4 cp) banners?
Yes, we do! Please contact us if you are interested in knowing more about our 4cp capabilities.
7. What is the minimum order on four color process banners?
For years, our minimum print run for 4 CP banners was 25,000 linear feet.
However, due to a recent technology break through OUR NEW MINIMUM RUN IS 10,000 linear feet!
8. Do you offer perforated Plastic Roll Banners?
Yes, we do! This is an added service that is VERY valuable to many of our clients.
We are capable of perfing 18", 24", 30", 36" and 48" banners.
Yes, the banners can optionally be perforated between each image.
The individual banners can then be easily separated for individual use.
9. How many spot colors can NorthCoast Banner print?
Up to SIX spot colors can be printed on your banners.
10. Will NorthCoast dispose of my plates if I don't use them in a certain amount of time?
ABSOLUTLEY NOT! We will store you plates FREE for as long as you would like.
NorthCoast Banners is here to serve our clients. We have not forgotten that the customer comes first.
11. Does NorthCoast banners ship internationally?
Absolutely! Contact one of our sales team to discuss your international shipping questions.
12. Do you accept credit cards?
Yes, for your convenience, NorthCoast accepts Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
13. How do I reach a member of NorthCoast Banners sales team?
We look forward to assisting you.
14. How do I receive pricing from NorthCoast Banners?
We will be happy to send over a quote.
15. What is registration shift and how does it impact plastic roll banner art design?
In offset lithography, with which most graphic designers are familiar, the ink is on the same level as the areas of the plate that do not hold ink.
In contrast, flexography (or flexo) - so named for its flexible printing plates - is a letterpress printing process similar to the old-style block printing. To be more accurate, it's like printing with a big rubber stamp. The ink is applied to the raised surfaces of a rubber printing plate and pressed onto the poly surface to transfer the image.
Flexo printing tends to spread more because the surface of the rubber plate is slightly compressed as it applies ink to the poly. Precision of a flexo presses are usually not as fine as an offset press, and multi-color registration tends to shift much more. Shift can be as much as 1/8". It is wise to factor in registration shift when designing plastic roll banner art for flexo printing.
For more information regarding printing plastic roll banners using flexography, please contact David Abramson, Northcoast Banners and Bags, 800-231-4213, email@example.com
16. What is trapping and how does it impact plastic roll banner design?
When designing your plastic roll banner or plastic bag art, it is wise to consider trapping as you construct the relationships between / among the colors. "Trap" is the overlap of two colors when printed side-by-side, also known as a "butt fit." Colors on your roll banners need to be trapped to each other so that a white space does not appear between them as the colors shift during the press run. Because of the looser tolerances of flexo presses, these overlaps need to be at least 1/8" (9pt).
When printing a dark color and a light color side by side on your plastic banner, always spread the light color into the darker one. This won't result in a visible increase in the size of either color area, because the overlap is usually not seen if the darker color is dark enough.
When printing two light colors side by side, the trap will be seen as a blended "third color" as one color overprints the other. A possible solution to conceal the overlap is to print a black or dark-colored outline where the two colors meet. This outline must be at least 1/8" (9pt) wide.
Because of the trap width needed in flexo and its potential (and unintended) visibility, it is recommended that such traps be avoided unless they can work as part of the design of your plastic roll banner.
For more information regarding printing plastic roll banners using flexography, please contact:David Abramson
Northcoast Banners and Bags